Total Views

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Brig. Dr. Atiq-ur-Rehman (Late)


Brig. Dr. Atiq-ur-Rehman (Late)
As I sit to scribble down my collection of memories of a man whom I greatly respect, a sentiment which (for me) will definitely never die with the dead, the first image that comes to my mind is a puzzled girl of 17, her second day at university, as she enters the first office to right in the Aero-Department. The name plate outside the office reads 'Brig. Dr. Atiq-ur-Rehman Head of Dept'. Apparently a man of sententious prominence, Dr. Atiq had a markedly refined personality, his words reflected the immense knowledge he possessed, his warm smile had always been deeply comforting, his genuine counseling never failed to motivate many students.

23rd of August 2012, 09:30 am texts started flooding in news spread like wildfire 'Brig. Atiq-ur-Rehman had died of a  cardiac Arrest'. Leaving behind a young wife and two children.



He was my advisor and I paid frequent visits to his office to discuss my sessional progress and any other issue I had regarding my studies at IST. It was through these meetings that I got to know about his life struggle and experiences. Born eldest, raised by his mother solely he build himself from scratch, getting rejected by Army aviation once, writing a letter to the Chief , getting a response letter, having given another chance, getting selected .... is all but a manifestation of the words he oft recited : 'you MUST never give up'
(surprising how his exaggerated stress at 'must' has evaded my amnesia)

Brig. Dr. Atiq did his Bachelors in Aeronautical Engineering from PAF college of Aeronautical Engineering, NED University Karachi, Pakistan (1983). 
His Masters in Aerospace Engineering from University of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA (1989).
His Doctorate in Aerospace Engineering (Fracture Mechanics) from University of Salford, UK (1992).  

He has many honors and awards to his name .. some of which include :
  • Gold Medal for first position in BE Aerospace (1983)
  • Merit Certificate for best Aerospace Vehicle Design in BE Aerospace (1983)
  • Merit Certificate for best Final Year Research Project in BE Aerospace (1983)
  • Merit Certificate for First Position in Aviation Engineering Equipment Course, Aviation Engineering School, Dhamial , Rawalpindi (1984)
  • Merit Certificate for First Position in Mechanical Engineering Equipment Course, College of EME , Peshawar Road Rawalpindi (1985)
  • In the national Merit (top 30) in all Pakistan competition forwared of S& T Scholarship for MS & PhD (1987)
But to me the biggest achievement of his lifetime is to have become an immensely learned and influential man capable of inspiring young minds. The lessons he taught will never be forgotten (at least not by me). It wouldn't be an overstatement to say that he has helped me give a direction to my life and goals for which I am forever in his debt. All I can do now (I believe) is to strive hard to comply to his wishes and expectations. May Allah bless his soul.
Ameen.


21 comments:

  1. Indeed he was a great man and a great teacher. May his soul rest in peace (amin)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Baba knew him.
    My his soul rest in peace (Ameen).

    ReplyDelete
  3. May his soul rest in heaven. He was truly an educated soul. highly educated, highly authorized but still down to earth. Indeed he is a great teacher and he left great influence on all of his followers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was his student in D-15. He taught us Mechanics of Materials. A great knowledgeable, humble, polite, accessible and reasonable man. He used to look so young, as if he was one of the students. I am greatly shocked to learn about his demise. There are some people in the world you do not realize how special they were to you until you loose them. He was that kind of a teacher. May his soul rest in peace and he be granted a garden from the gardens of paradise. Aameen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I served with him at Multan when he came back to Pakistan after finishing his PhD in the UK. Always seen his smiling and helping everyone. We used to go for a walk every evening and talk about anything. A lot of people felt jealous of him because of his talent and I knew most of them but kudos to his patience, he never said a word about anyone of them. A true Muslim and a man of best traits. You will always be missed and your memory will keep my eyes wet. May Allah SWT place you at the highest level of Jannah, Ameen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A true gentleman of outstanding character. He spent 3 years in manchester doing his Phd. Whilst also attending numerous airshows. I was only 9 or 10 then he used to call me `boy`. He was so muti talented and so down to earth with utmost intellect. He will be remembered far beyond indefinatley. May allah bless his soul and expand his grave for as far as his eye can see. Urs truly faisal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brig. Dr. Atiq-ur-Rehman, May Allah bless your soul and grant you a place in the highest heaven- Ameen. The news of his departure came as a shock full of tearful sorrow.
    The time he lived in Manchester, during his Ph.D. studies; he demonstrated his humbleness and great intellect. He was always most inspiring, tireless, full of enthusiasm, innovative and hardworking. Methodical even when tired and under pressure; There were very many happy occasions that we both shared, I recall one time we went to London sightseeing, rather than using the underground he encouraged us to walk almost everywhere so as not to miss the sights. He always read Salah, whether it be by the side of the road or in the park next to the House of parliament!
    He was always helpful to everyone and participated in all good activities, he was a joy to be with and his memories will live in our hearts always.
    Masoud, Manchester UK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brig Dr Atiq was a student of mine from 1981 Oct to 1983 (till his graduation) at PAF College of Aeronautical Engg. It is now that this post has mentioned the many honours that Dr Atiq received that I remember what a brilliant student he was. His untimely death is a great loss to IST, Pak Army, PMO and indeed Pakistan!! We have lost an excellent engineer! May God Bless his soul. Ameen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pakistan has lost a brilliant true soldier. May his soul rest in peace...Ameen. I want to make a little correction in the narrative stated above. Brig Sahib has two children-a daughter and a son, both are under 7. May Allah Almighty keep them in HIS care and benevolence. Ameen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was his student in DE-14 in College of EME. He was a role model and true ideal for many of his students like me. He was always approachable, affectionate and despite his extraordinary qualities and acheivements, yet humble. He radiated goodness and nicety and his smile was always big and welcoming.
    He made such an impact on me that I consider him one of the biggest inspirations I have ever had in my personal and professional life.
    His sudden and untimely departure is extremly shocking for me and everyone who has ever met him.
    May Allah bless his soul.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am extremely shocked to learn about the demise of Dr Atiq. May Allah bless his soul and give him a place in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Born with personality is an accident,but dying as a personality is an achievement.we miss u baba.
    yours oaksi and doaksi

    ReplyDelete
  13. 7 october . where are u baba . we miss u alot. birthday cake r wating.but..........yours oaksi and doaksi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Allah may bless u sir , We had the last meeting in metro Islamabad. And even there, you inspired me. I got a silent lesson from you over there. You're being missed

    ReplyDelete
  15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnplNUl9CiM

    My tribute to The legend

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brig Dr. Atiq....an inspirational character who was so down to earth that everyone can approach him with confidence. I first met him in 1999 when he came to CAE for selection of offrs...He had the implicit capability to make others a friend of him...in the very first meeting..an extreme polite speaker, a patience listner, very kind hearted 'fatherly character'. I did not find any difference in his character from Lt Col till Brig...a very rare pheonmenon.. I am sure that in sha Allah he will be resting in peace...coz I have never seen people from lowest cadre to the highest praying for one's maghfirat with such sincerity as i saw for him. Everyone I met, irrespective of his rank/designation....has so much good to talk about him. I could not get a single person who had any sort of grudge with him..he was a differet man...indeed very rare to find people like him. May Allah grant him place in jannat ul firdous and comfort the family members. Good people in deed leave early....I shall not forget him through out my life...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am one of his cousin.Please let me know about his family if you can.I will be grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Hamid, yes I maybe able to help you, contact me at @raafayawan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. a TRUE FRIEND SINCE F.Sc DAYS (Gordon College 1976-78) TILL DEATH.


    GEE CHAHATA HEY KHAKH SEY PUCHOON AYE LAEIN... TU NEY WOH GUNJ HAYEY GRAN MAYA KIYA KIYE. MAY ALLAH REST HIS SOUL IN THE HIGHEST PLACE OF JUNNAH and sabr to his family. AMEEN

    ReplyDelete
  20. I saw him very closely. A highly professional and very devoted person. May Almighty give him the best from his collection. Dr Atiq left behind two sweet children who will certainly keep their father name sky high under the supervision of their mother Saima Atiq. She is very talented, hard working and loving mother. Our all prayers are for the sweet family to flourish without seeing anymore odd. Ameen

    ReplyDelete

Translate

Search This Blog