Total Views

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

The Dream of Reality


He was sitting next to me on the flight from Multan to Sydney and the moment we started talking it was obvious that he was one of the most indecisive persons ever. Just like me he was working in Islamabad on a good post and had no plans of going to Australia. In my case, out of nowhere, within two days I decided to hop on the last available flight from Pakistan and start a new journey.


It was when I gave it a thought that I realised our stories might be pretty similar because it would take me ages to make my mind up about something. There was a connection with him so I decided to start a conversation.


Why Australia? I asked him.


He had no idea why he was moving to Australia, he just wanted to give it a go because apparently everyone was going there and people back home said it was a good option for your future and once in a lifetime opportunity.


Not a pretty solid reason to leave everything you have and move to a new country, I thought to myself.


Why Sydney? He asked me.


I was as clueless as him, I could think of a couple of things; the flight to other cities would take longer and it was already a 22-hour journey, and because I had a friend living in Sydney so it will be a safe option for me to land in Sydney… oh also because Sydney has the Opera House.


None of the reasons is strong enough to just land in a city of a country you’ve never been to before, he said.


So do you have a job there? It was my turn to ask him.


No, I don’t have any job offer there but I have heard a lot of people work as delivery guys and Uber drivers and can look after themselves, I will always have that option with me, and I will start applying for jobs as soon as I land hopefully it will work out.


Wow, that’s … a big risk, I murmured.


Do you have a place to live? He was interested to know.


My friend said I can stay with him for a couple of days, but when his roommate comes back from Melbourne, I will have to move to another friend’s place and stay there for two weeks, that should give me enough time to find a place for myself hopefully.


Sounds like a lot of moving to me if I am being honest, you won’t be settled for almost a month; he was bluntly telling me.


All of a sudden I could feel as if something was happening inside me, I had this sick feeling, a weird sensation, I quickly realised it was fear.


I told myself, it is okay, he is going through the same, he has been as indecisive as me, if he can manage it I will too, others do it as well, I am not alone.


What’s your name? If you don’t mind me asking. I wanted to calm down and divert my thoughts so I asked him.


My name is “You", he replied.


Sorry? I said.


I am Raafay, he explained.


Oh, but my name is Raafay… I mean I am Raafay too, I continued.


Yes, as I said, I am you. He smiled.


It was at that very moment that I opened my eyes.


“There is no going back” kept echoing in my mind for a while. I tried to shrug off the thoughts and tell myself it was just a dream and I should calm down.


A couple of minutes later, the flight attendant came with a form for me to fill before we reach Australia, the flight will land shortly, she said.


I suddenly remembered the emerald stone, a green precious sparkly stone that signifies successful love. Long ago I had read, that Sydney is known as the Emerald City.


I could see Sydney from my window, the long stretch of water was ending. There is no going back, I told myself firmly. I was at peace now. Sydney and I will work it out, it will be a successful love story.

5 comments:

  1. Allah is with u enjoy, qismat mae yahe likha tha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raafay is a great boy. When trust is strong enough to Allah pak you don't need to worry. Insha Allah. Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. All over the Karachi, Experts Communication give night shift Call Centers jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this article we have learn many things from this article please share more like these content. Thanks and if you want some flights then visit on links.
    Flying to Islamabad from Karachi has become easier with a lot of domestic airlines operating for Karachi to Islamabad flights. At the same, you can get cheap flights from Karachi to Lahore on YUGO.pk Website.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

Search This Blog