Total Views

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Humans of New York in Pakistan (Part 8)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
"Lyari is a tough neighborhood. There are a lot of gangs, and people are always trying to bribe young kids to do bad things. I've run this arcade for 15 years. It makes me happy to see children playing games instead of getting caught up in those things."

(Karachi, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“Shortly after we were married, I got tuberculosis and rashes broke out all over my body. They smelled so bad that I had to be cleaned three times a day. She always made me fresh food and made sure I had clean clothes every time I bathed. One morning, during this time, she asked me: ‘Would you do the same if I got sick?’ I promised her: ‘I’ll do even more.’ She died a few years ago from a brain tumor. She was in bed for the last three years of her life. Toward the end, she couldn’t identify people. Water from her brain would drain from her eyes. I ran home from the shop three times a day to help her go to the bathroom. I was always sure to turn her. She never had a single bedsore. In the end, the doctor told me: ‘It would not have been possible to take better care of her.’”

(Karachi, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
"I take her everywhere I go."

(Karachi, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“I belong to a very conservative family, so I’ve been dealing with a lot of permission issues. There are a lot of boundaries on me. Most of the women in my family are housewives, and my father would prefer me to become a housewife as well. But I’ve been working so hard in school. I’m studying all the freaking time. These exams are so tough. I don’t want all this hard work to be wasted. I want to be a businesswoman. My mother is a housewife. She needs to ask my father for everything. When he’s not around, she tells me: ‘Do exactly what you want to do.’”

(Karachi, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“We lost by 47 runs yesterday. We're not in good form because our moms won’t let us practice during exam time.”

(Karachi, Pakistan)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Search This Blog