Total Views

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Humans of New York in Pakistan (Part 12)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“I left an abusive relationship and I have nowhere to go. I have Hepatitis C, so no one is willing to take me in. I don’t know how long I will live. I tried to give her up for adoption so that she’d have a good home. The wife of a minister told me about a place where I could drop her off. But when I got there, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.” (1/2)

(Lahore, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan

“I’m trying to help her figure out her future. I was working at the Sunday market, and she asked me for help setting up a stand of her own. She told me about her story and showed me her bruises and marks. I’m trying to help her all I can, but my means are limited. My own income is only 2500 rupees a week and I’m getting engaged next week. I’m trying to set up a committee to donate blood because she really needs it.” (2/2)

(Lahore, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
"Our friends are trying to set us up."

(Lahore, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“My first daughter passed away immediately after she was born. All the reports had been fine leading up to the birth. I lost consciousness in the delivery room, and when I woke up, there was no baby. I had fear in my heart, but everyone kept giving me false assurances. They said that everything was fine, but that the baby ‘just wasn’t feeling well.’ But I knew what had happened. I never even asked to see her. Finally they told me, ‘God has taken his gift from you.’ When this one was born, the doctors had to take her away for five days. Everyone kept telling me not to worry. I thought it was happening all over again.”

(Lahore, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“I’ve been getting passed over by smooth talkers my entire life. It’s just not in my nature to exaggerate my role. But there’s always that guy who waits until the boss comes around, and then starts loudly giving directions as if he was coordinating all the work.”

(Lahore, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“She doesn’t speak up for herself, so I’m afraid if someone harms her she wouldn’t tell me. I don’t learn about things that happen to her until they are reflected in her behavior at home. Recently I found her washing the dishes, and I asked her where she learned to do that. She told me: ‘When I visit my friend’s house, I do the dishes all the time.’”

(Lahore, Pakistan)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Search This Blog