Total Views

Thursday, December 25, 2014

My Pakistan

Pakistan

Written By: Shanzay Khan

The tinkling bangles, the bright dupattas.
The bumpy roads, the deep khaddas.
The smell of the food street,
Of chicken and meat,
Of charges and biryani,
Of tikkas and nihari.
The beautiful sounds
Of children playing in the merry-go round.
This is my Pakistan, this is my Pakistan.
The city lights,
The rush hour fights
The boys on every street busy at cricket
Their joyous screams at every wicket
The girls that gossip huddled together
Gathered in the country yard they can talk forever.
The bubbling laughter, the victorious shouts.
This is my Pakistan, this is my Pakistan.
The crowd at seaview, enjoying the most glorious shore.
The kebabs at Burns Road, I always want more.
The bunkebabs from hawkers, Flamingo’s chana chat
The sweetness of kulfi, warm Kashmiri chai on a wintery raat.
The sights, the smells
The sounds, the ringing bells.
This is my Pakistan, this is my Pakistan.
But what is this I hear, a bloodcurdling scream?
Is this is nightmare or was that a dream?
Sons are dying, mothers are crying.
There is little hope, yet we are trying.
Is this my Pakistan? Is this my Pakistan?
The ambulance sirens ringing in my ears,
What has happened while I was away all those years.
Two more bomb blasts, a hundred more die.
How long will this last, how many more will cry.
Is this my Pakistan? Is this my Pakistan?
The homeless, the orphans, the poor
Are all shown out of the door.
It’s a vicious cycle
Who will end this? Ali, Pooja or Michael?
Is this my Pakistan? Is this my Pakistan?
It’s hopeless state, filled with despair.
How much more? How much more will we bear?
The laughter dies
Now all I hear cries
This is not Quaid’s Pakistan. This is not my Pakistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Search This Blog