Total Views

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Humans of New York in Pakistan (Part 11)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“It seems that violence is the only lens through which ordinary people in Pakistan are viewed in the media. Even if it’s a story about a Pakistani rock band, it will be set in the context of a violent society. There’s nothing false about the perspective. Pakistan has a problem with violence. Violence is used to silence journalists, and judges, and moderate religious scholars. And it seems to be getting worse. Every time I see somebody on television speaking out in anger against extremism or corruption—I’ll say a prayer for them. And every time one of those people is murdered, those of us who aspire to be like them grow a little more afraid. So it’s not that the reports of violence are false. But they are only a small part of the truth. There’s so much other life being lived here. But there’s only so much space in international newspapers. And there’s so much news in the world. So only the most jarring stories make the cut.”

(Karachi, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“I was never educated because I began working when I was a child. I was always envious of the boys who got to wear uniforms and go to school. This is her first month of school. She comes home and tells me exactly what happened, everyday. I love it. If I’m not home for a few days, she’ll save up all her stories, then tell them to me all at once.”

(Lahore, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“My brother works in a camera factory. Yesterday he brought home something that projects monsters on my bedroom wall.”

(Lahore, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“I’m studying cardiac regeneration to help repair damaged hearts. It was widely believed that hearts cells could not be replenished, but we’ve used carbon dating to discover cells in the heart that are younger than the heart itself. So I believe it is possible.” 

(Lahore, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“My daughter had a hole in her heart. I prayed constantly because I never knew the moment that God would be listening. We were given medication from the doctor, and then God healed her.”

(Lahore, Pakistan)

Humans of New York in Pakistan
“I lost my family home because of my gambling. I couldn’t handle the stress so I needed an escape. I used to be a body builder. My arms were this thick. I was healthier than you are. But now this is my only breakfast. It makes me numb and I sleep until the evening. It’s been about ten years. And the longer I do it, the more pain that’s waiting for me if I stop.”

(Lahore, Pakistan)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Search This Blog