Total Views

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Truth: Life of a Student in Pakistan



At 6:30 p.m. on the evening of April 20, 1989 I was born in a government funded hospital. I cried but it was the only time my mother smiled to see me do that. I was going to a world where I would be taught lessons.  Many people around me were loving, giving me smiles and trying to take me as possession. I couldn't resist as I was very tiny and couldn't make fights to them. As days passed, I felt strengthened. I was able to stay awake for a longer period of time and see the new world around me. After some days, I came about the most loving lady in my life, my mother, who was able to understand my scream, my joy and most importantly my tears. There was another person around me who often took care of me. He loved me but when I used to cry, he handed me over  back to the mother; that was my father.
I started to understand the value of the two most important people of my life; my parents. I preferred to call them mama and papa. These were the first words of my education.  They helped me to take the first steps so I would never  hesitate to run into the tough difficult life waiting for me in future. After a few months, I was able to walk on my own and could speak a few words.  It was the beginning of my social life when I first put my footsteps out of my door. I made friends, talked to them and played with them. Those friends were the next important people in my life. I was allowed to play for two to three hours as my mother told that playing outside for long is a bad thing. It was the first lesson taught to me against bad habits.
I was now old enough to get in to the school. I got admission in nearby school and spent my next ten years of life there. I was taught a few insidious and unspoken lessons which I later understood that I had to unlearn them. Firstly, the people in charge have all the answers and learning ends when you leave the classroom. Your fort building, trail forging, frog catching, friend making, game playing, and drawing won’t earn you any extra credit. Secondly, the best and brightest students always follow rules and whatsoever written in the books is always true. ThirdlyThere is a very clear, single path to success; It’s called college. Everyone can join the top 1% if they do well enough in school and ignore the basic math problem inherent in that idea. Furthermore, behaving yourself is important for getting good marks. Whistle-blowing, questioning the status quo, and thinking your own thoughts are no-nos. Be quiet and get back on the assembly line. Lastly, The purpose of your education is your future career and so you will be taught to be a good worker. You have to teach yourself how to be something more.
Now, I got entrance into college. It was my first day in college and it was the beginning of the highly tense competition for the further undergraduate admission. Only a few days into college and I realized that the this wasn't my true goal. The purpose of spending two years in college is to spend a few more in University. I spent further two more years of my life memorizing the lines written on books with our founder of Pakistan picture upfront but I haven't  read his message once on the first page of eight books. To remain in competition I was forced to spend six hours in college with a further four to five in academies (tutoring centre) where we were taken in confidence to get a secure admission in leading universities, if we paid the hefty amounts in the beginning. My extracurricular activities and talent was considered as the hurdle in the way to my studies. I was neither supported nor appreciated. I was forced to quit my extracurricular activities. In addition, my parents paid heavy admission fees to many universities so I could get into one of those. For many, it was about their monthly salary.
Now, I am a part of an institution. There are so many demands and promises I made to universities officials and my parents. There are many expectations of my future. To my parents, my future is secured; to me, it is another stage of struggle. Work load is increased intensely and snatched the remaining free time I used to had when I come from academies during my college. I have to face demanding teachers and students as competitors. I work hard regularly but what's wrong if I am an average student. My parents and teachers criticize me of letting them down. One thing I learned that our lives we are taught lessons, some which make sense and some are just lies. At every major stage of our academic lives we are imparted with the truth that " Son, the next stage is much easier ". In fact, it's the other way round. 
I have completed my education, I am a jobless person in the Pakistani society. I see my potential in abroad. I AM THE LIFE OF A STUDENT OF PAKISTAN.





Written by: Sanwal Malik

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Search This Blog